It’s time I share with you some of my favorite recipes and what better way to start than with something that can wear many hats 🙂 These little babies are a quick go-to when I’m in a pinch and I need something that’s going to satisfy and be a chameleon for whatever I might feel in the mood for. Ok, ok, ok….so what is it? Why, meatballs of course.
I always thought making meatballs was a daunting task that required me to have a boat load of ingredients that I would not normally keep on hand, but oh oh oh that is so not so. You’ll be so surprised at just how few ingredients and how little time it takes to master this easy meatball recipe and be ballin’ outta control!
But what about Weight Watching, P ??
Don’t worry, I still manage to make this Weight Watchers friendly. The name of the game is low fat for this, right? So instead of your 80/20 ground beef or adding ground pork, I go straight for the leanest ground beef I can find in the store and it still keeps my points count low (1 freestyle point per meatball to be exact). Ground turkey or chicken is an option as well. This lean ground beef at Walmart is one I keep in my freezer in droves and just toss it in the microwave for an easy defrost when I’m feeling a little beefy 🙂
No Time to Gather All Those Spices..
Shoot, me either. Enter stage left my little secret friend coming into the meatball party like a rockstar. It’s a cheat-y packet of meatloaf seasoning mix with reduced sodium! Changed my life….
Now what’s for dinner?
Once these are all ready to go, the options are amazing! Sometimes I’ll make multiple batches and freeze them. Sometimes I only make enough for one particular meal I’m making at the time. I think the thing I’m most proud of is that I used to buy the frozen meatballs to serve meatballs for social gatherings. Now, I get to impress myself by making them from semi-scratch 🙂 Here’s a few ways I ball out:
- Spaghetti and meatballs (combine them in my favorite low sugar marinara sauce and add some whole wheat spaghetti noodles)
- Meatballs in gravy with brown rice (combine them with my favorite quick gravy recipe and serve over a little brown rice)
- ”Cocktail meatballs” or whatever you wanna call them…lol. This basically means putting them in a mixture of half of my favorite barbecue sauce and half water.
- Meatball “subs” (combined with the marinara sauce like mentioned above but served atop a slice or two of 45 calorie bread)
Ready to start ballin’ outta control?
Easy Peezy Meatball Squeezy 🙂
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
- 1 packet McCormick Meatloaf Seasoning (reduced sodium)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
Instructions (should yield about 48 meatballs):
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and then line that with a layer of parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix together by hand (I recommend a nice set of plastic gloves for this).
- Pinch enough of the meatball mixture out of the bowl to roll into a ball similar to the size of a ping pong ball. Roll, place on baking sheet, then repeat.
- Bake about 24 meatballs at a time for 15 min.
- Try to keep your husband from eating them all up before you get them into what you intended the actual meal to be 🙂
I hope this works out as well for you as it has for me! When you try it, will you let me know what you think?